Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What 10 things do you do well?

We are generally very good at knowing what we need to do better but very very bad at being able to say we do something  well..  
"I should do more exercise." 
"I could communicate more." 
"I need to get better at time management." 
"I should work on my presentation skills."
"I need/ should...... (add your own in here!!!)

It is time to put a different perspective on it. After all you didn't get to the ripe old age of (add here whatever age you feel like being), without managing to do some things well.... the tricky part is being able to remember what they are.

So grab that coffee, find somewhere quiet and write down/think of 10 things you do well.... just 10.....

Oh and fight the temptation to be glib..... so..... 'I am good at being on facebook' doesn't count.... but... 'I am good at keeping in touch with people' does!!! 

The reality is that remembering and stating what we are good at is much harder than it sounds. We spend most of our time in the pursuit of improvement- which is great- but if we can't acknowledge our real skills and achievements we risk devaluing the 'improvements' we made in the past and who we are right now in the present. 

So yes, head off into the great future of improving and improvement, but remember the present has a pretty amazing person in it who is good at doing at least 10 things.... and might be astonishingly good at 1 thing... if they had the guts to admit it.....



                    

2 comments: